Healthy Breakfast Ideas to Help Lose Weight
Losing or keeping your weight in check during the holiday season can be close to impossible, especially if you skip meals because you know a big meal is coming later.
Skipping a meal is always a bad idea, especially breakfast, and especially if you want to lose weight! A good meal in the morning sets up the rest of your day, so follow these tips to make sure that your start is a healthy one:
- Fiber and protein should be included, as these will both fill you up and give you a nice energy boost.
- Try to have some fruit in there. This is another great source of energy, and you also get a nice little jolt of sweetness without adding sugar. Cutting your refined sugar intake as much as possible will benefit your weight loss greatly!
- When the winter months roll in, a warm breakfast is a must. Thinking about a cold, soggy bowl of cereal will not inspire you to eat when it’s chilly outside.
1. Warm oatmeal with added fruit.
When buying oatmeal, look for steel cut oats, but any variety is fine (all are great for a healthy diet which will help anyone to lose weight) if you can’t find those. Ease up on the sugar, and use apples, dried cranberries, or raisins to get your sweetness. For another little flavor boost, think about sprinkling on some cinnamon. Delicious and hearty.
2. Egg white omelet jammed with vegetables.
If you are not a big fan of egg whites, consider mixing in one whole egg with an egg white to get a little of that yolk flavor. One you have the omelete going, load it up with fresh vegetables. You can add even more flavor by adding a little bit of low calorie cheese.
3. Whole wheat pancake or waffle.
This is a selection you need to be careful with in regards portion control, not to mention whatever goes on top. Leave the syrup out of it, and go with a little of cinnamon and sugar. If you want some protein, serve a single egg on the side.
4. Breakfast burrito.
You should have no problem finding low calories tortillas in your supermarket. Load those bad boys up with vegetables, egg whites, and a splash of salsa.
5. Breakfast pizza.
The tortillas used to make those healthy burritos can also be used to create a pizza with a small serving of marinara and mozzarella. Add on some vegetable and bake it up until the cheese melts.
Breakfast offers a real opportunity to get creative in the kitchen. Use these ideas, as well as a few of your own, to put those healthy breakfast items to good use to help you lose weight during the holidays.
6. Overnight Oats.
This is a favourite of mine during the working week quick, convenient and bursting in antioxidants .
- 1 ripe banana (roughly chopped)
- 75g greek yoghurt
- 250ml almond milk
- 100g rolled oats
- 1 tsp – vanilla extract
- A handful of blueberries, raspberries (I also add a couple of chopped strawberries) and some pistachio nuts or other nuts that you like
Weight out 100g of oats into a container with a lid
Place the almond milk, yoghurt chopped banana and vanilla extract into a food processor or liquidiser, blend until smooth.
Pour the mixture over the weighed out oats and stir to mix it all together.
Cover a place in the fridge overnight.
When ready, serve (however much suits you) top with the blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and nuts and have a wonderful breakfast